Gripe water is a favorite for moms and it’s surprisingly easy to make cheaper at home with no worries of high fructose corn syrup, enough booze to supply your neighborhood bars and restaurants! The effectiveness of gripe water has been questioned by medical professionals, they suggest nothing in the recipe is likely to relieve symptoms of colic or teething. We at momreview.com beg to differ, ginger is effective as anti-nausea homeopathic medicine. It could be part of the ancient battle of science v nature? But some of the ingredients in home made gripe water have been used for centuries due to there healing properties, but you can test it for yourself. it’s basically cooled down tea.
Dill weed, ginger and fennel are the main spices to add. Then, bags of Lemon Ginger Tea and Chamomile tea.
- Put the tea bags in a mug and the loose herbs in the tea strainer. Pour a cup of hot water over all of it.
- Steep for about 10 minutes or just until it starts to get more strong (and also potent, which is good).
- Then, LET IT COOL!
- Add sweetener – You may find your baby will take it without sugar.
- DOSAGE – 1 teaspoon.
- Refrigerate – to store and up to two weeks.
As an alternate solution you could try this following concoction which breaks up the gas:
- ¼ small onion, boiled 5 min. in 2 oz water
- Strain, add 2 oz cool water
- 1 tsp succanat or agave
- Give in bottle
- Or use 2 cloves garlic, prepare similarly.
Now sock it to the scientists, don’t get your baby drunk using old skool methods and and enjoy a gas and colic free night.